Sunday 2 December 2012

Is the ‘Glamour’ Look Overdone?!

The always over-the-top glamorous Nicki Minaj who also
loves putting on nails and lashes

Every woman wants to look good and feel good, what woman doesn’t want to get the attention of head turning males as she walks by, those heart throbbing comments that make you feel like a million bucks? It’s all good and well to dress in a sexy a manner (or in  a way that makes you feel sexy) and putting on make- up, but what about the extra add-ons? I’m talking about French  manicured nails, artificial eyelashes  (that come in lengths of short, medium and long) and putting on eye-contacts (even though you don’t have a sight problem).


All these ‘glamour’ accessories have become a very popular tool within the fashion and beauty scene, where local and international female celebrities don these accessories, and everyday woman you bump into in town. What really triggered me to write this post is the fact that I feel that its sooo overdone, especially here in Durban! I mean I walk through town or through the mall and I can estimate and say 3 to 4 out of 5 (black women) have on artificial eyelashes, long nails and eye contacts. I mean in my neighbourhood, I personally know some of these women are unemployed, and yet they can afford to be soooo glamorous (and these accessories aren’t cheap). Okay, if you go to a very posh beauty salon, you’d pay quite a bit, but still, on average these add-ons would cost you between R200 and R400.

french manicure with a twist

Artificial lashes to make those eyes pop














On special occasions (weddings, 21st birthday parties etc), I personally do have my nails done, and maybe my eye lashes. The whole eye contact thing I do not do. I find that within my group of female friends, they also don these accessories on special occasions; it’s not an everyday thing.  For some women though, it’s an all day, everyday thing! I can only imagine the time and effort that it requires to maintain that level of glamour.

But what do guys think of it? I took the initiative to ask some guys within my group of male friends, and the question I asked was: what do you think when a girl has her nails done, eyelashes on, eye contacts etc? Do you like it? These are some of the responses I got:

Alvin: “No I don’t.  It’s superficial.” Then he went on to explain: ‘Well as long as you can’t see that they’re overly fake.”

Njabulo: “Depends on the girl. If they are for special occasions then I’m for it. However, I mostly like to see her ‘natural’ beauty.”

Phumelele : “As long as she is good in her skin”

Anonymous : “Nails done yes, but the rest is too much for me. Like she has to go so far outta her way to look what she perceives ‘attractive’. I like natural beauty hey.”

Popo: “I don’t like it. It’s too much. Nails and hair are ok, but contacts…..its screams for attention, no need to change your eye colour.”

Hilton: “I’m a natural type of guy…..simple is beautiful.”

And finally Gilbert said: “Not the eye lashes, contacts only if she needs them. If I can’t tell that she put them on (lashes) then it’s cool, but not those huge long ass ones lol.”

Surprisingly enough, men love us in our natural state ladies….for the men that don’t like it, it’s because it screams superficial and fake. For the guys that don’t mind it, they prefer that you keep it to the minimal. Is seems like we don’t have to adorn ourselves with bells and whistles to get a man’s attention….

I don’t know about other parts of the country, but here in KZN, it seems like the “IT” thing for any girl to do. The term coined for a girl who is super glamorous and is adorned with these add-ons is ‘u-Glama’ , and you will see them strutting their stuff in town, with the most confident walk ever! Hey, if it makes you feel good about yourself, go ahead and do it. But let the responses of the gentleman man above tell you that it’s not necessary for you to do if you want to get or keep a man. One thing you should always remember though is that when it does come to beauty and fashion : simple is always glamorous!!

Till later, mwaaaah!!!











No comments:

Post a Comment