Thursday 22 November 2012

Buying Clothes For Cash or Credit??


Looking gorgeous, powerful, sexy, sophisticated and successful or whatever look you want to achieve is part of why people (like me) love fashion. Some people don’t take fashionista’s seriously; assuming that there is some sort of “pretentiousness” to them (or is it the ones they've met??). Well I went to university (will be graduating next year) and let me just say, having a commerce degree and a love for fashion is quite an advantage. That’s why I wanted to blog about this very important topic: acquire fashion through cash or credit??



I know a lot of people, who have short term credit facilities with fashion stores. I, on several occasions, have tried to open credit accounts at Legit, Mr Price and YDE. But to my disappointment, could not get granted the credit facilities because I was a university student. So, like some, I shop till I drop when I have sufficient cash, and I save up for that special pair of shoes if I’m having a bad run financially. I know a couple of friends who have credit facilities at some of these fashion retail stores and let me say, I find that some of them really struggle to not go over the limit.

I find that when you buy on credit, you can afford to “almost” splurge on the clothes you want, because you’ll have to pay later (in some instances, you pay a small amount each month), and your wardrobe will be spoiled with choices of different outfits. On the other hand, if you’re the type of person that doesn't know restraint, you can end up accumulating so much debt!

 This happened to a close relative of mine. She had a credit facility at Edgars, and she had accumulated over R12 000 worth of debt (on clothes!). Not that she was a fashion freak  who splurged every chance she got, she had family to take care of who constantly asked for clothes and shoes etc, and she couldn't say no. And every month when the bill came, she became so depressed; she didn't know how she got into that mess! And you know that these retailers want their money, and those phone calls (on private number) from call center agents asking when you’re going to pay your debt, became all too much for her. She decided one day that enough was enough, and she dedicated a whole year to ensuring she paid the debt and she would close that account. And she did! When she closed the account, she was even given a certificate! And you know they tried begging her not to close the credit facility!! Anyway, she vowed from then on never to buy clothes on credit, and she now buys everything cash. Her philosophy (like me) is to save up if you can’t afford it now. 

I think that, if you have good debt management skills, and have high levels of self- restraint, go ahead, open an account at Truworths or Legit etc. But if you know you’re the total opposite, I suggest that you stick to cash, or better yet, why not find a retail store that’s relatively cheap and affordable but with great quality clothing and style?  
Check out this website here for the pro’s and con’s of buying clothes for cash or on credit.


With that, I’m signing out, love you all, mwah!!



No comments:

Post a Comment